Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Time Idioms


Time Idioms


1.     I’m too busy
2.     many times, repeatedly
3.     do it now!
4.     enjoy myself
5.     late or overdue
6.     do something unnecessary
7.     experience difficulty
8.     a scheduled time 
9.     business comes first
10.                 be not busy
11.                  inconvenience
12.                  expired or finished



(It’s high time you learnt them!)
In the sentences below, the time idioms (in bold writing) have a different meaning to
the separate words that make each phrase.
Can you match each phrase to one of these meanings?
I’m too busy / many times, repeatedly / do it now! / enjoy myself / late or overdue
do something unnecessary / experience difficulty / a scheduled time  /
business comes first / be not busy / inconvenience / expired or finished
1.  “It’s time to go to the dentist for your annual check-up.”
2.  “It’s high time you learnt to iron your clothes for yourself.”
3.  “If you’re thinking of tidying your room, there’s no time like the present.”
4.  “I’ve told you time and time again that I don’t take sugar.”
5.  “Hello, it’s Sam here. I hope I haven’t caught you at a bad time.”
6.  “I wasn’t really looking forward to this trip but actually I’m having the time of my life.”
7.  “I’m having a hard time getting to the shops and back each day.”
8.  “I’d love to go on talking all day, but  as they say; time is money!”
9.  “I’m sorry Sam, I just can’t spare the time  to help you with the clearing up.”
10. “If you’ve ever got time on your hands,  come up and visit us on the 3rd floor.”
11. “Sorry, your time’s up now. Put your pens down now and stop writing.”
12. “You are wasting your time calling me to say you’re sorry. Goodbye Sam!”
With another class member try to decide what the situation is for each sentence.
Who do you think is speaking? Who do you think she / he is talking to?
What tone of voice do you think the speaker might use?

No comments:

Post a Comment