Thursday, October 25, 2007

Unit 3: Work Vocabulary

Work - What do they do? Where do they work?
from: http://www.learnenglish.de/vocabulary/jobs.htm
Job What do they do? Where do they work?
Accountants Look after the finances in an organisastion. They work in an office.
Bakers Bake bread. They work in a bakery.
Barbers Shave men's beards and cut men's hair. They work in a barbers.
Barmen/women Serve drinks. They work in a bar, pub or restaurant.
Butchers Prepare and sell meat. They work in a butchers.
Chambermaids Clean and tidy rooms. They work in a hotel.
Chefs Prepare and cook food. They work in a kitchen.
Dentists Look after people's teeth. They work in a dentists.
Doctors Look after people's health. They work in a hospital or surgery.
Fishmongers Prepare and sell fish. They work in a fishmongers.
Flight attendants Look after passengers. They work in an airplane.
Hair dressers Cut and style people's hair. They work in a hair salon.
Judges Judge and sentence people. They work in a law court.
Lawyers Defend and prosecute people. They work in a law court and in a lawyers office.
Nurses Look after patients . They work in a hospital or doctor's surgery.
Opticians Look after people's eye sight. They work in an opticians.
Porters Carry other people's bags and luggage. They work in a hotel or train station.
Receptionists Meet and greet visitors. They work in reception.
Sales Assistants Sell goods and look after customers. They work in a shop.
Secretaries Arrange appointments, type letters and organise meetings. They work in an office.
Surgeons Operate on people who are sick. They work in a hospital.
Vets Look after people's animals. They work in a veterinary surgery or vets.
Waiters/Waitresses Serve people food and drink. They work in a restaurant.

Leaving or Losing your job
There are many different ways to express leaving or losing a job.

To Leave Your Job:-
To resign | To quit | To leave your job = to give up a job or position by telling your employer that you are leaving.

To retire = to leave your job or stop working because of old age or ill health.

To Lose Your Job:-
To be dismissed | To be fired | To get fired | To be sacked | To get the sack | To get the chop | To get your P45 | To lose your job = to be asked to leave a job, usually because you have done something wrong or badly, or sometimes as a way of saving the cost of employing you.

To be made redundant = to lose your job because your employer no longer needs you.

Dialogue - Naturally Speaking
The job interview
John has a job interview for a Saturday job
Interviewer: So, you've applied for the Saturday position, right?
John: Yes, I have.
Interviewer: Can you tell me what made you reply to our advertisement?
John: Well, I was looking for a part-time job to help me through college. And I think that I'd be really good at this kind of work.
Interviewer: Do you know exactly what you would be doing as a shop assistant?
John: Well I imagine I would be helping customers, keeping a check on the supplies in the store, and preparing the shop for business.
Interviewer: That about covers it, you would also be responsible for keeping the front of the store tidy. What sort of student do you regard yourself as . . . did you enjoy studying while you were at school?
John: I suppose I'm a reasonable student. I passed all my exams and I enjoy studying subjects that interest me.
Interviewer: Have you any previous work experience?
John: Yes. I worked part-time at a take-away in the summer holidays.
Interviewer: Now, do you have any questions you'd like to ask me about the position?
John: Yes. Could you tell me what hours I'd have to work?
Interviewer: We open at 9.00, but you would be expected to arrive at 8.30 and we close at 6.00 pm. You would be able to leave then.

I think I have asked you everything I wanted to. Thank you for coming along to the interview.


John: Thank you. When will I know if I have been successful?
Interviewer: We'll be making our decision next Monday, we'll give you a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment